Feature
Jack Van Toorn

Is it Safe to Dive during my Period?

Is it safe to dive whilst I am on my period? A commonly asked questions and the answer is yes… pretty much.

Many divers feel a concern over menstruating underwater. Be it shark attack, weakness, visual or hygienic issues this is a question asked over and over again in the dive community. Here to put your mind at rest I can tell you that you will be physically safe, however you may need to take a couple of safeguards into consideration.

Is there a chance of shark attack if I dive on My Period?

Thankfully, sharks are not going to smell your blood and come pursuing you because you’re menstruating. The warning that a shark can smell blood from three miles, or five kilometers, away is taken as fact, but this does not mean the smell makes the shark any more interested in you as it would be a floating log.

Studies have been carried out to watch the shark’s reaction to human blood. Sharks seem inquisitive, however not forceful when human blood is in the water. The conclusion is a relief as it turns out, sharks are most attracted to fish gastric juices (not even fish blood) which bodes well for the shark as a fish that is releasing gastric juices is certainly handicapped and easy prey.

Remember, a menstruating human female loses just a couple of milliliters of blood a day. The larger part of fluid loss because from your feminine cycle is water and uterine coating cells. Most females will find that their period all but ceases when they are submerged in water; the vaginal opening stays shut and the increase in pressure serves to keep liquids from escaping.

Diving While Bleeding May Add to the Danger of Decompression Sickness:

Diving on your period is generally okay. Nonetheless, studies have demonstrated that scuba diving while bleeding may add to a diver’s danger of decompression sickness. One study recorded that females were twice as liable to experience decompression sickness throughout the first week of their menstrual cycle.

Additionally, divers who were taking oral contraceptives (birth control medication) were more inclined to get decompression sickness than the individuals who were not. This study demonstrated a connection between feminine cycle and decompression sickness, however more research is required before final conclusions can be reached.

The reasons that menstruating divers seem to be more affected by decompression are not fully understood. Suffice to say that substantial changes happen amid a feminine cycle that seem to make the body less efficient at disposing of nitrogen. Also consider that period can cause dehydration, which is a known contributing figure to decompression sickness.

PMS and Distractions:

This is a separate issue for each person, as bodies react differently to an impending period. You should consider how you feel before you dive, like you would at any other time of the month.

Your menstruation aside, any diver should review their state of mind and how their body is reacting to pressure before gearing up. This should stay in practice during times of PMS as any other time and any changes to be taken into consideration using your knowledge of your own body, for your own comfort and personal safety.

Blood Control:

How does a diver manage blood loss onboard the boat? Submerged, most divers cease menstruating. The vaginal opening seals, and no water or body liquids enter or exit a diver’s body. As most divers wear wetsuits, they can be comfortable in the way that any liquids are prone to stay inside the diver’s suit.

Be that as it may, a diver on her period may need to control blood and liquid loss prior to and after a dive. Tampons work extremely well for blood control and can be left in throughout a scuba dive. Due to the fact that the vaginal opening for the most part seals closed during your dive, the tampon is unlikely to contact salt water. The same can't be said for the tampon string, and this is when humiliating circumstances can happen. A wet tampon sting can draw liquids out of a woman’s body after a dive, and this can bring about some leakage. My recommendation? Convey additional tampons and switch them out as fast as would be prudent after a plunge, even between dives if a restroom is accessible on the dive boat. Leave your wetsuit on until it is possible to change the tampon.

So is it Truly Safe to SCUBA Dive on Your Period:

Sharks are not a risk!

Most female divers would go ahead and dive any day of the month. A few studies recommend that scuba diving while menstruating may increase a diver’s risk of decompression sickness, so make sure to ascend conservatively and stay hydrated when diving on your period.

Divers who experience serious PMS or menstrual torment may need to cease from diving until these feelings pass, to avoid distractions. Finally, prepare yourself for logistical complications, for example; packing additional tampons, know where the bathroom is and most importantly know your own body.

Photo: Credit

Delete comment?

This will permanently delete the comment. Are you sure?